We are excited to share with you some of the 2017 book award winners that you might want to check out at your library or purchase for family’s book collection.
1. 2017 Randolph Caldecott Medal Winner and Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award:
Radiant Child, by Javaka Steptoe, is a picture book biography of young Brooklyn artist Jean Michel Basquiat.
Reading level 6-9 years.
2. 2017 Randolph Caldecott Honor Book and New York Times Bestseller:
They All Saw A Cat, by Brendan Wenzel, is the story of a cat and a celebration of observation, curiosity, and imagination.
Reading level 3-6 years.
3. 2017 John Newbery Medal for Best Children’s Book:
The Girl Who Drank the Moon, by Kelly Barnhill, is the imaginative and magical story of Xan, the witch of the forest.
Reading level 10 and up.
4. 2017 Theodor Seuss Geisel Award for Beginning Readers:
We Are Growing, by Mo Willems and Laurie Keller, is a story about Walt discovering how special he really is!
Reading level 6-8 years.
5. 2017 Pura Belpre Author Award:
Juana and Lucas, by Juana Medina, is the story of a spunky young Columbian girl and her dog.
Reading level 5-8 years.
6. 2017 Pura Belpre Illustrator Award:
Lowriders to the Center of the Earth, by Cathy Camper. is the story of a lovable trio who goes on an adventure from their garage to the Aztec underworld!
Reading level 8 and up.